Monday, May 9, 2011

The Tomatoes and Peppers Are Planted

We went down to the community garden and planted our tomatoes and peppers on Sunday, yesterday.  It was a nice mild day with some off and on rain, just perfect for our little transplants.  We also squeezed in six very pungent, smelly marigolds.  That is how I selected which ones to buy.  I smelled them all and picked the stinkiest ones.  I hope they work.  They are supposed to help keep away caterpillars and attract pollinators.

This is a picture of the whole thing. It looks a bit sparse, but trust me it will fill in.  When the peas and beans grow up the fence in the back and the cucumbers are covering every available inch between the bush beans and the spinach there will not be an inch to step. Although by then the lettuce and radishes will be done or almost done.

Here is a close up of the left hand side where the washout mentioned in an earlier blog happened.  you can kind of see the onion starts struggling to recover and a few radish sprouts coming up through the flood deposits.  The jalapeno pepper, left front, is huge and already has a pepper or two growing on it.

This is the other side. The onions look better, but not great.  The radishes make a perfect little semicircle.  They need to be thinned already.  You can see the larges of our tomatoes, the sun gold cherry tomato in the background and the marigold.  The peppers on this side of the garden are still quite small and hard to see in this picture.  These were the ones that Cooper, my cat, chewed up.

Close up of the left side peppers and tomatoes and marigolds.  I am craving a fresh tomato, so bad.  I hope they grow fast and well and no one harvests them for us.

I also planted the tomatoes and peppers on the pots on my porch.  I still have two empty pots with no potting mix, but I had enough pots to put all the starts I had.  I am thinking about planting some climbing cucumbers in one pot and an eggplant in the other. First I have to get some potting mix.


This pathetic little guy was hidden in a pot with two larger Roma tomatoes.  I decided to split the two Romas into separate pots, against my better judgement and discovered there was a third stunted little brother plant.  I put it in the radish/green onion tub to see if it will thrive.  If not I will get rid of it, but I can always use another Roma tomato plant.

This is a jalapeno with nasturtiums in the corners.

This is another large sun gold cherry tomato.  I love these small orange tomatoes.  They are so sweet and the plants make alot.


This is one of the Roma twins with nasturtium.

This is the other Roma twin also with a nasturtium.  He is a little bigger.

This is the weird heirloom variety we decided to take a gamble on.  It is a slicing tomato that is supposed to be purplish green when it is ripe.  I hope it makes lots of tomatoes.

The above and below are my hanging baskets.  I planted at least 5 nasturtium seeds in each and have gotten only three sprouts total, so far.  That is a little disappointing and weird considering the fact that each of the seeds I planted in the tomato and pepper pots came up.


Here is a fresh picture of the miniature hens and chicks my daughter rescued.  They are greening up and one is even flowering. I don't know if that is good or bad.

The lavender plants that my daughter rescued are coming along well.

The rosemary hasn't died yet. That is something.  It also hasn't done anything else yet, either.

Here is one of the two empty pots.  I will have to buy four more cubic feet of potting mix to fill them.  I hope the cucumbers and eggplants are worth it.

This is a better picture of the radish/green onion tub.  I am always amazed at how fast radishes grow.  It is almost time to thin them again.

Here is the one flower I am growing that isn't edible.  I do love million bells even though you can't eat them.
Well, that was a lot of pictures.  I hope you aren't burnt out with pictures of our garden, because I am sure there will be lots more.  I just saw the cucumber and basil sprouts at my aunties house and I am excited for these to go out in the garden.  I think in a week or two, maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Everything looks so good! Your balcony is amazing. I haven't put a single thing in the dirt here yet. I think I'd better do that tonight!

    ReplyDelete