Monday, May 2, 2011

Quick Check on the Garden

Well, we forgot to take pictures, but we went and checked on it.  There was no need to water because it rained and everything was nice and wet.  The onion starts are a little shocked.  It has been a bit windy and cold since we planted them on Saturday.  They will be okay though.  Onion starts are hardy.  So far everything is well.  I will have trouble waiting for the sprouts to show there little seed leaves.  We are still waiting to put the tomatoes and peppers in.  The wind is just a bit too harsh and there is no shelter for them. We are thinking about putting up makeshift shelters, something like what my mom did when she lived in the windiest place ever, Ellensburg, WA. She used a tomato cage with a paper grocery bag around it, securely staked into place by skewering it with the cage.  It blocks the wind and gives some frost protection.  It does cut down the sun a bit, but our plot is not short on sun exposure.  If the weather doesn't get better, we might have to try this.  Well, tomorrow I will definitely get some more pictures for this blog.

Also, a funny development:  I found out my cat really thinks pepper plants are tasty.  More than a couple of the leaves of our pepper plants are very shredded now.  I let him out on the porch to get some sun.  I looked out and he was munching them down like a goat.  I will have to keep him off the porch until they are all planted. The pots are tall enough that the peppers will be out of his way, hopefully.  At least I will notice if he is jumping up into the pots, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment