Friday, May 6, 2011

Boo, Radishes and Onions Flooded Out By Careless People.

When we went to the community garden today to water out plot, we found a small disaster:

Those sad little things were our onions.  They and the radish seeds were washed out when someone carelessly turned the water on full blast and let it run for a while with no hose. We tried to rescue what we could, and there are some radishes coming up where they were planted.  Compare this picture to the one of the radish onion arc on the other side:

These radishes are coming up really well. Aren't they so cute? We don't really know what came up first, because when we went today four things had sprouted: Spinach, Lettuce, Radishes, and some Carrots.  Other people down there have put in their tomatoes and the Lilacs are blooming, so Sunday will be tomato and pepper planting day.  Mother's Day is a great day to spend in the garden.  Maybe the husband will bring us a picnic lunch.

Here are a couple of the spinach sprouts.  The lettuce was just way to small for pictures, but  trust me they are cute. The carrots that have sprouted were washed into a little hole with the washout before they sprouted.  We will probobly have to pull them out of there.  Oh well.  Once the automatic sprinklers are turned on this shouldn't happen again, hoepfully.  Then we will replant the things that are washed out.  That is out good idea anyway.  I thought it was cool that our plot was super close to the spigot, but now I think there is a reason the seasoned pros took the other spots before we got there.  Live and learn.  We didn't have a choice on our spot anyway, but next year, if we do it again, we might request a different spot.

I don't remember if I wrote about my cat eating our pepper plants this weekend, but our pepper plants are looking pretty haggard.  They will grow out of it, but I am not happy with Cooper about this.  He is on my bad list.  I'll post pics after we plant our peppers and tomatoes on Sunday.  Saturday will be very busy with the Appleblossom Run and then a barn raising (large shop really)/mom's birthday party at my parents house.  Fun, Fun, Fun.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Cooper, don't put him on your bad list!

    I opened the plant starting box this morning {an underbed rubbermaid container I am using as a makeshift greenhouse} and to my great surprise the cucumbers were up and out! They are a bit pale and I have moved them to the front porch. I saved them from the cloudburst/hail today.

    I hope our garden made it through safe and sound. Good thing the peppers and tomatoes weren't in yet, they would have been POUNDED.

    ReplyDelete