Monday, May 16, 2011

After a Weekend of Rain, Surprise the Beans Are Growing

It rained all weekend, as I posted earlier.  I didn't go down to the community garden all weekend.  We had a funeral and a friend come over and visit and since it obviously would need water, I thought I would just leave it be.  Wow three days made a huge difference to the beans:

You can see the scarlet runner beans all have their first true leaves and are pretty tall.  They just need to find the fence to grow up and they will be off to the races.

The peas are growing well, also.  Some of them are a little far from the fence. As I posted before the end of the row got a bit more like a clump.  I think they will be fine.  We may need to tie them up until they grab on.


Here is the first bush bean to show its true leaves.  If I look really close I can see the little elbow shaped stems of the rest of them poking out.  They will all be up soon.  It looks like we are getting very good germination, even though we didn't soak the seeds. They may have come up faster if we had, but it has been pretty cold, so I don't think it would have made much difference.


Here you can see the rainbow carrots (the ones we were afraid had gotten washed away)  If you squint you can see them as a few fuzzy lines.  They are really coming up now.  I am no longer worried about them at all.  We will need to thin them really well pretty soon.  The lettuce is also due for some serious thinning:


You can't tell one plant from the next.  There is also another row off the right side.


Here is a picture of the carrots on the non flooded side.  They are some kind of short sweet carrot, check the first post to find out specifically.  These also need some serious thinning


Last but not least the spinach has its first true spinach leaves on.  I already thinned these, and they look really happy.

I didn't take any pictures of the tomatoes and peppers because they look the same.  The plants on the porch are growing well, but I didn't think to take pictures of them until it was too dark.  Tomorrow I will post pictures of the new bean sprouts out there, a total of 8 now, and the radishes and how huge they are getting.  I told my aunt I will replant those after we harvest. They grow so fast they are fun.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin and I went out and looked at the garden yesterday, WOW! It is really doing great. This weekend I can help you on the weeding.

    ReplyDelete