Sunday, May 15, 2011

It Rained All Weekend

I didn't have to water anything this weekend,  It rained a lot. That is not a common occurrence here in Wenatchee, but it is a welcome one. 

The Italian pole beans I planted about 4 weeks ago along the edge of the balcony pots are finally starting to come up.  I have five of them now.  I planted about 5 in each pot for a total of twenty or so.  I hope more come up.  I will be training them up and onto the balcony railing. 

Those pots are going to need lots of water and fertilizer, because there are going to be roots of several plants sharing each pot.  You can probably guess that I am not a stickler about gardening organically.  When it comes to fertilizer, especially.  I have never found a good organic fertilizer that works in potted plant situations.  I do not have a way to compost or improve the nutrients in my soil naturally.  When I have a garden in a yard of my own, I will be willing and able to do all of that. 

I had a little scare earlier when I remembered that my radish tub does not have drainage holes in the bottom.  I quickly ran out and moved it under the eave.  It should be okay now.


I did share the radishes with my uncle, by the way.  He is the only reason I planted them.  I do love watching them grow.  They grow so fast, but I was really not that excited about eating them.  They are good in salads.

2 comments:

  1. And I gave him the link so that he could say THANK YOU for the radishes, but I don't think he's made it on here yet. Trust me, you totally made his day with those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks auntie Linda. I just peeked at them just now and they are twice the size they were yesterday, it seems. Radishes grow so fast. I will have to replant. It has been too much fun.

    ReplyDelete