Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Community Garden on a Cold and Windy Day

Actually it wasn't that cold, but the wind sure was blowing.  We had to water today.  The wind really sucks the moisture right out of the soil.  We set the sprinkler and walked to Auto-Mocha (our favorite place to get real fruit smoothies, when we can't make them at home).  The rest of the time we sat and talked and drank our smoothies and coffees (my daughter was the only one who actually ordered a fruit smoothie)

We forgot to take a picture when we were done watering, again, so you still won't see the onion starts in there current shocked state, but we did get a picture of our first weed.  We pulled it right out:



Well, we are just waiting, not very patiently, for our first sprouts to break through the soil.  We have taken bets on what will come up first.  I have my money on the radishes (No fair. I cheated. I planted most of these seeds a while ago in containers on my porch and the radishes came up first.  Plus, I read the packages).  We didn't bet anything, though, so its okay.

I finally took pictures of the plants on my porch.  The sun was going down so the flash actually went off on a few of these, but they turned out okay.


These are the radishes and green onions in the shallow tub.  I also plated a few cinnamon basil seeds in here because I just had to.  They have not come up yet.


This is a baby nasturtium.  Isn't it cute? Flash.


Red Million Bells which I have not planted yet.  The dragon fly decoration was made for me by my friend, Nancy from a pop can and some stiff wire.  One of it's antennae is missing, but I love it.


These are the miniature hens and chicks we saved from my mom's house a few weeks ago.  For a size reference, the larger one is about the same diameter as a quarter.  We have 4 pots of these.


Purple Million bells.  I went ahead and planted these in the front of this large  pot.  A tomato plant will be put in right behind it in the middle of the pot.


This is a lavender plant we rescued from my mom's as well.  We have three of these. I really don't like lavender, but my daughter loves it, so here it is. Maybe we will use some in our soap if it grows large enough.


Here are the tomato and pepper starts we bought for the community garden and for my porch.  They are huddled next to the wall for shelter from the wind and nightly cold. We just can't wait to plant these.


The Rosemary I bought at Lowe's.  It looks great.  I can almost taste the rosemary chicken, mmmmmm.



Yes I actually planted dill in the corner of one of my square pots.  Crazy, I know, but we are growing cucumbers.  I will pull it out, probably, way before we get any cucumbers.

Well that is all the excitement around here for now.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment