Monday, June 20, 2011

Quick update, no pictures

Just a quick note.  Our lettuce has been outgrowing the birds this week, and we actually had to thin it.  After picking off the outside leaves that were very bird pecked, there was enough to make a bowl of salad for the family.  The spinach is going to seed and will need to be pulled out and replaced with something.  It can't be anything too tall because it is in the front and will block the sprinklers.  Maybe more cucumbers will be good.  I am going to replant the green beans at the in-laws house, because we go very low germination there, about one for every ten seeds.  I will look for seeds for things that would be go in the empty spinach spot.  The Early girl tomato is really setting fruit, now.  We have at least ten green tomatoes on that bush and one or two on the Super Fantastic bush.  The Sungold cherry tomato bushes are covered with little green fruit, but none have started ripening yet.  It has been a pretty cold late spring.  I don't remember ever having this much rain this late in the spring here before.  We have had a few warm days.  I will take some pictures this week for sure.  The eggplant on the balcony is growing like crazy, and has had its first bloom.  The blossom was so beautiful that even if it doesn't set many fruit, the plant will be worth it as an ornamental.  The whole thing is beautiful.  Still no fruit set on the heirloom Belgian beauty (the purple tomatoes).  The other tomatoes are getting pollinated so I don't think that is the problem with this one.  I pinched off all the terminal buds.  We will see if that helps it to put more energy into fruiting and less into foliage.  It is the leafiest tomato bush ever, right now.  The Roma tomatoes, which all started out very small are starting to get very large. They have all had their first flowers and now their second.  I have two hop sprouts peaking out in one pot and none in the other pot.  If I don't see some in the second one soon I will put my small bonus Roma in that pot.  It is getting way too big for its shallow tub.  The germination rate for the cinnamon basil is very disappointing.  I have about 6 sprouts and I planted half a packet of seeds in 8 pots.  I hop all these sprouts do well because I will need lots of basil to go with the tomatoes I am growing.  Well I will take some pictures as soon as I can and post a good long blog about how every thing is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment