Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ever Heard of Plummer's Tan?

Very funny story:  My husband was watching me dress after a bath last night and asked me, "what did you do today?"  I said, "I weeded the garden most of the day and went to my aunties shop along with some shopping and about four hours at work.  Why?" He just laughed and pointed at my backside.  I checked it out in the mirror. I won't post a picture, so I can keep this blog G-rated, but you can imagine where a plumber might get a tan if he worked outside.  It looks hilarious.  We both had a great laugh about it.  I did spend a long time bent over in the garden picking out weeds.

This will be a post exclusively about the community garden plot. I haven't taken any new pictures of the patio plants yet.  Soon.
Here is what the garden looked like when I got there yesterday:

You can hardly see the weeds from this far back, but the close up shots will show you what I am talking about.  I will have some after pictures at the bottom.


This is the onion rainbow that got washed out early in the season.  Things are growing okay now, but not as well as the other side:

See how big these onions are already.

The rainbow carrots are coming back nicely since the big washout, however.

These are the Danver Short carrots and a volunteer sunflower.  We have had several sprout, but this is the only one I didn't pull up.  My aunt and I both had our suspicions that some of the weeds might be sunflowers.  We were right.

Here are the lettuce and the spinach.  The spinach is going to seed already.  I guess I will have to pull it out soon.

Here is a close up of a spinach flower bud.


The cucumbers that sprouted from seeds are looking very nice.

Here is a side by side comparison between the ones we purchased as starts and the one that we planted from seed.  The starts are starting to grow, but they are still kind of yellow and weird. (This seed started cucumber died just moments after this photo was taken.  The hose dragged across it when I was watering.  RIP cucumber.   I will replant this hill.)

This areal photograph of the cucumber patch and the one above should show you the weed problem I was talking about earlier.  These weeds are creeping succulents that pull apart instead of pulling up.  It is very hard to get rid of them.

The Anaheim chili is still looking sort of yellow.  I hope it is okay.  There are a few peppers on it now.  I hope no one picks them like they did the jalapenos. Check out those weeds.  How embarrassing.

This is the large jalapeno plant.  It had a few peppers on it, but, alas, they were harvested by persons non grata.  The plant was a little traumatized, I think, by the experience.  The branches the peppers were on were ripped off.

This pretty little green fly that was on the sunflower and I just could not resist taking its picture.

The Super Fantastic tomato bush is looking super fantastic, if I do say so my self.  There are a couple small green tomatoes on it now.

The scarlet runner beans are blooming already.  They are so beautiful. This is one reason why I love this variety of pole bean.  Another is the delicious large flat green beans you get. These beautiful blooms keep coming the whole growing season long. If you look closely you can see a cute little bee and a stink bug on the flower in the middle.

This is a view down the fence.  Some of the scarlet runners have nearly reached the top of the fence with there spindly creepers.  They will fill out and cover the fence in deep green leaves and red blossoms.

The peas are still hanging in there, even though it is way to hot for them.  They are starting to bloom.  They should be harvested by the time the pumpkins need the space.  I just replanted the pumpkin hill today after the other did not sprout.

There are a few flower buds on the bush bean,s as well. They are looking pretty nice.

A closer picture. This is a yellow wax been and the one behind is a purple one.  Remember that we planted  a tricolor mixture.  Some are just plain green.

Here are some of the dozens of small green fruit on the early girl tomato bush.  I can't wait to pick these when they are ripe.

Some more beautiful tomatoes.

The cherry tomatoes are really going to town.  Check out all these green tomatoes and flowers.  I have not gotten any ripe ones yet, though.

More sungold cherry tomatoes.

This picture shows you how the small roma tomato bush has really grown and is going to catch up with the cherry tomato bush in no time.  It is flowering, but does not have any tomatoes on it yet.

Here are the two small pepper plants that my cat chewed on before they were planted out here.  They are still very stunted. 


This is the garden after I weeded.  Notice the piles of weeds on the front stones.

You can really notice a difference in this picture.

And this one.

Look, ma, no weeds!


 Well that is all about the community garden plot for now.  I am contemplating adding a few more things to fill in the large open areas in the middle front. Maybe a few more cucumbers. Definitely something will need to go in the spinach spot when I pull that out.  Maybe beets.  My aunt and I are thinking about adding a few potato plants.  I do have some seed potatoes from my mothers garden last year, both red and gold.  Also the size of the pepper plants really makes me think we could fit a few more. I will take a look at the store and see if I can find any small plants that would fit in between.  I will post next about the patio container garden.  Things are going great out there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment