Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thiefs or Vandals, I Can't Tell Which, Have Struck Again

When I drove up to our garden plot today I noticed the carnage before I even reached the parking spot.


Our poor sunflower, which was just starting to bloom, had been ripped up and torn apart and left to rot.  It made me very sad. I had planned to take pictures today for the blog of the beautiful flower.

They also helped themselves to some onions...

and some carrots.  They didn't take all of the carrots with them though.  The small or weird shaped ones got strewn around the garden and left to shrivel in the sun.  Senseless vandalism or picky, snobby thievery?  I don't know.  It appears that they took the onions with them, along with at least a few tomatoes and the flower of the sunflower plant.  None of those were anywhere to be found.

You can't really tell in this picture, but they did rip a bunch of the Early girl tomato bush's branches out of the cage and left several green tomatoes on the ground.  If you are going to steal produce, can't you at least leave the plant unharmed so that it can grow more?

Well I picked a few onions (there are very few left in the garden now) and a few carrots, the tomatoes that were left and the few peppers so that no one else could have time to notice them and pick them. I definitely have enough tomatoes for another batch of sauce when these all get fully ripe.  I took lots more pictures, but I will have to post them tomorrow.  There are a couple heirloom tomatoes, some small eggplants and the pole beans on the porch coming up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment