Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our Super Fantastic Tomato had a Not So Fantastic Day Yesterday

I went to the community garden to water the back part and pick the peas again, and I was met with a horrible suprise:


We had this tomato bush tied to a one inch square, four foot tall stake and inside a tomato cage with all of its larger branches tied up.  The huge tomatoes just got too heavy on one side and the whole thing tipped over, breaking the stake in the process.  It seems that the main stem of the bush is undamaged, thank goodness.  It didn't even wilt at all, but it was very alarming to see this when I drove up.  I went strait to Lowes and bought some more stakes to prop and tie it back up.  I even tied all of them to the fence.  I checked on it after 24 hours today, and it seems fine.  We are having a minor wind storm and it looks like it will hold.  I also trimmed a bunch of the larger branches back so that it wouldn't get tomatoes too far out on the side to weigh it down even more.  I went ahead and tied up the other tomato bushes, too.  They are all getting pretty big and tall and top heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment